Tuesday 21 February 2012

Quinoa Parfait

Last month I wrote a blog about my quest for a healthier lifestyle that began in October (inside-out). I said I would continue sharing recipes I am loving and this is one of them. About 6 years back, when the show "City Cooks" was on, a Peruvian woman was talking about the splendors of Quinoa and made some traditional recipes using it. I bought some (in the bulk section at Save-On Foods) and gave it a try. On it's own, it doesn't taste that great, but adding it into recipes it can take on other flavours.

Here is an excerpt from Wikipedia on why it's become such a popular superfood: Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it a complete protein source.[13] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.  

I have been making it at a side dish (adding lemon, a little mustard or tumeric, onion, celery and herbs), adding it to my oatmeal (old-fashioned oats, not instant) or making it plain for dishes like this. This parfait is great for breakfast, or when I am having a craving for a sweet snack.

Start with cold, cooked quinoa
Add yogurt of your choice, here I am using "Source"
sugar-free strawberry. 
Top with fruit, I opted for sliced strawberries and raspberries.
 I added raw almonds, but you can use any nuts or seeds.
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...